The 2018-19 school year will be the 3rd year we as a school have participated in the Health Promoting Schools (HPS) initiative. The HPS team continue to work extremely hard and you can see the our HPS flag proudly flying on the flagpole in the school garden. The HPS team will continue to encourage and promote being healthy in OLOC.
The aims of a Health Promoting School include:
- Promoting the health and well-being of pupils
- Enhancing the learning outcomes of pupils
- Upholding social justice and equity
- Providing a safe and supportive environment
- Involving pupil participation and empowerment
- Linking health and education issues and systems
- Addressing the health and well-being issues of school staff
- Collaborating with parents/guardians and the wider community
- Integrating health into the schools’ ongoing activities, curriculum and assessment standards
- Setting realistic goals built on accurate data and sound evidence
- Seeking continuous improvement through ongoing monitoring and evaluation
The benefits of a HPS are :
- Better learning results for pupils
- More done to promote staff health
- A co-ordinated approach to social, physical and environmental needs
- Increased pupil self-esteem
- Lowered incidence of bullying
- School environment is safer and more secure
- Better understanding of schools’ health aims
- Improved relationships within the school
- More involvement of parents/guardians
- Better use of outside agencies
- Pupils receive better quality education
Meet our Committee
We have representatives from 1st class through to 6th Class, Teaching Staff and Special Needs Assistants on our committee.
Information Notice Boards
We have a few Notice Boards around the school. On these Notice Boards you will see information, ideas and slogans/quotes. We hope that these make everyone stop and think about the messages or just make them smile!
We also have a suggestion box on the window sill next to the Notice Board on the downstairs corridor if anyone has an ideas for us!
Promoting Positivity & Kindness
These are some of the Noticeboards around the school to encourage positivity and kindness in our school.
We encourage parents to order a piece of fruit everyday for their child’s first break in line with the school’s Healthy eating policy.
The children are asked to bring a drink bottle of water in their bag each day. This can be refilled at any of the classroom taps in the school which are triple filtered. Milk is also available daily to all students.
Be Healthy Week is held each year at the end of September which promotes and encourages healthy eating!